I proceeded to cut the block into lots of smaller cubes and rectangles. Looks like a mess? It is.
I chose four interesting squares and tried several positions and decided that a dark sashing might be the best solution. It would tie them together and then I would make the connection with the quilting.
|Mock up of the four pieces.|
|Actual block sewn together.|
I squared the block and then added a pillow backing so that the edges were finished;
I added a layer of batting through the back opening and then quilted it.
|Pillow backing to turn right sides out.|
|Second and last try!|
The sashing width was better but very technically hard to align with the seam allowances.
I did not pursue this experiment any further.
So if you would like to make me feel better, you can share your stories of frustration. I'll be here!
Next Tuesday really should be spring.