SIMPLY SOPHISTICATED DESIGN WITH A TASTE OF THE UNEXPECTED.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Des Moines Modern Quilt Bee Block 4

Three Des Moines Modern Quilt Bee Block 4 done!
  Marny here...it is the fourth month of our Modern Quilt Bee already! I love the quilt Doris chose as the basis for her block pick. It is Cindy's Delta Breeze Quilt. Cindy has a terrific blog, Live a Colorful Life.
Full Disclosure: this is my second attempt on this post. I'm learning new apps and using my new iPad with it's keyboard for the entire post. The logistics are a little tricky and somehow, once I'd completed the draft, I lost it. Bummer. But learning and meeting the new challenges is fun...for the most part. 
So here we go again.
Cindy's tutorial for this beautiful Delta Breeze quilt can be found here.
I agree totally with Doris when she says of Cindy's quilt "I love everything about it, color, scale, design, love love love." Delta Breeze uses all 8 1/2" blocks, but the traditional Bear Paw blocks are in both 8 1/2" and 4 1/2" sizes. Cindy took a traditional block and created a very sophisticated design.
One thing I love is the surprise secondary designs that happen depending on block placement. Here your eye focuses on the Flying Geese units.
Our Bee block assignment is to make two A blocks (full 8 1/2" Bear Paws) and one B block (4 1/2" Bear Paw). I've always admired these traditional blocks and I'm very happy to make them for this fun quilt.  The color scheme Doris has chosen is neutral and low volume. She lists taupes, stone, warm gray, and charcoal with the request we steer clear of brown and tan. Doris carefully packed up little baggies of sample fabrics and I promptly lost mine between the guild meeting and my cutting table. So I played in my stash, and I'm very happy with the resulting trios. 
Visual and actual textures juxtaposed...the solid is linen
 
Script, texture and rectangles...
 
Chain link, calligraphy, and all over "bubble wrap like" texture
 Till Tuesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really love hearing from you! All comments are being moderated due to inappropriate comments being posted. We will attempt to post your comments in a timely fashion.