SIMPLY SOPHISTICATED DESIGN WITH A TASTE OF THE UNEXPECTED.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Third Time Charm?

jill here....  I just love making baby quilts.  Not only is it fun to celebrate a new arrival but because of their size, baby quilts usually come together quickly.  Market Values sews up in almost no time; the fabric selection is the more challenging aspect.  My constraints were that I would use "stash" fabric and a girl recipient (mom wanted soft colors).

In my stash, there was lots of the large scale saturated pastel floral print (previously used in Cheddar, No Crackers).  That was my start for fun and girlie.  Next was the stripe and an aqua that looked good with it.  I added in some very soft grey. a cute dot and decided pink would be appropriate.  I could only come up with 6 fabrics rather than the prescribed 8 so decided to repeat (actually not at all a problem). Below is the outcome.

The pink just seemed overwhelming!
Too bright!
So I slept on it. The next morning, I ripped out the center section .  I decided a different value of aqua was the best solution and found a cut dot that was enough value change make the transparency believable.
The aqua was better than the pink but created
the appearance of five separate sections.
Too much value change...try again...
The position of the little dot with the
larger scaled print works well. 
 The third attempt....

This middle aqua section is not as dominant
and therefore reads more as a whole unit.
The little dot placed on the light aqua and the stripe placed
on the darker aqua would have been a better value balance.
Sometimes done is good and cute enough!  Which one will I quilt?  'Till next Tuesday...

1 comment:

  1. Fun and lovely. I have soon-to-be-here twins to make some quilts for. Daughter's friend. So I might just have to make some matching-but-not-matching quilts.....

    ReplyDelete

We really love hearing from you! All comments are being moderated due to inappropriate comments being posted. We will attempt to post your comments in a timely fashion.