SIMPLY SOPHISTICATED DESIGN WITH A TASTE OF THE UNEXPECTED.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Binding a King Sized Taffy Twist



jill here... latest on my list!



Modern Quilt Relish Taffy Twist in Marcus Fabrics Next Wave 
 This Taffy Twist is a wedding gift that will keep some newlyweds in California warm.  Sounds kind of crazy to send a warm quilt that direction after all the cold we've had here. 

King sized quilts are BIG!  Not to complain but they are heavy and cumbersome...especially when it comes to binding.  I usually machine bind by sewing the 2.5" binding to the front, turning to the back and stitching in the ditch from the front (catching the folded edge, most of the time).  I've gotten pretty good at it but its a multi-step process, two passes through the machine and there is a lot of quilt to corral.

Marny suggested that I use a one-step method to bind with a decorative stitch.  I planned on a "forgiving" print binding fabric so now seemed like a the  perfect opportunity to try something new.  I tested out several stitch options and decided on one that was a little more complex than a zig zag but still had some decorative interest.  
Machine settings.

I googled one step binding and came up with wrapping the backing around to the front.  Wouldn't work here. I  decided to design my own one step wrapped binding.  I needed 400 " of  binding.  I cut my 11 strips 3" wide, mitered the WOF seams (for better seam allowance distribution) and folded it essentially into thirds. This leaves two layers of fabric at the top of the fold, where the wear is the greatest.

Marked 45 degree seams....


Chained the strips...



Trimmed the seam allowance to 1/4 inch...

Pressed the seam open....

Folded 1" up from the bottom...

Folded the remaining 1" over, not quite to the bottom.


Pressed the trifold binding in half.



These steps took more time than my usual method but still easier to handle than the whole quilt.

I wrapped the binding around the trimmed edge of the quilt,
leaving a 12" tail, starting on the side.  The unfinished edge of the
binding was on the underside to keep it flat.  I tucked the edge
into the binding, sewing then pausing,  to to keep the feed straight
and even with a gentle tension.  No pins!


At the corner, with a straight stitch, I sewed the end of the fold.
This keeps the miter from popping out.
One pin to hold the miter...

I fixed my stitch and started again on the next side.
                      When I rounded back to my starting side, I stopped
                 with 8 " to spare, mitered the two ends together, trimmed 
and pressed the same. I then stitched the final stretch with the decorative stitch






                   Much, much faster with good, sturdy results!


All that's left is a label!
The back is another story....


Till next Tuesday,,,











2 comments:

  1. Good job, Jill!
    And, cute fabric for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I want to try this with a smaller quilt though! LOL. I need to find a way to bind without dealing with the arthritis I now have in that thumb joint on my left hand. Why do we have to get old?

    ReplyDelete

We really love hearing from you! All comments are being moderated due to inappropriate comments being posted. We will attempt to post your comments in a timely fashion.