SIMPLY SOPHISTICATED DESIGN WITH A TASTE OF THE UNEXPECTED.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Chevron quilt continued…

Marny here…these chevrons are a bit addicting and way too much fun to play with!  Hope you have some leftover half square triangles to experiment with!
Please refer to this previous post for specifics.

Here are a few of the snags I've encountered along the way:
  • ran out of the solid green that serves as the primary chevron fabric
  • used the wrong seam allowance in making the initial half square triangle units, does that ever happen to you?  I forgot to move my needle to the correct position in my eagerness to get the sixteen remaining half square triangles sewn
  • was unable to predict the effect directional fabric might have

How these challenges might make the end product more interesting:
  • I pieced together one 5 ½" square from my scraps to get a total of fourteen squares.  I need sixteen squares to completely use up my half square triangle piles.  I personally think whatever blocks get the little extra seam in them will become my favorites.  Perfection can be boring. 

  • Instead of taking out all sixteen incorrect bias seams I just moved my machine needle to the correct position and sewed a larger seam.  These units were pressed differently than the units in the previous post.  I generally press all seams open for a flat finished look.  This time I pressed the seam allowance to the darker side.  The resulting little bump in the fabric will provide a surface texture and shadows that I don't usually have.  And since some will be pressed open and some will be pressed to the side it is good I think perfection is not all it is cracked up to be!                                
                                                        
















  • The directional line in the "kelp" sort of fabric gives a little more variety to the texture of the overall quilt.
You can see the directional line runs both ways in each of the two orientations.
Here are my six piles of blocks.  Each of the three starting fabrics is represented in two orientations.  There are eight in each of the top piles (from last week's post) and six in each of the fabrics from this week.  Stacking them in these piles made it much easier to create different designs up on the design wall.
Chevrons placed side by side.  The design wall itself represents the negative space (background) of the quilt.
Chevrons separated with background.  I think this is the direction I will continue with…
but two solid squares and four half square triangle units remain, so who knows?
Till Tuesday…

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish you wouldn't have posted this! Now I have another project to add to my to-do list! I made a chevron quilt last month and am gifting it on Friday. I know it will love its new home, but we'll miss it here!
    PS - this is SUPER cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Wish we could see your chevron quilt too.

      Delete
  2. Excellent! I have a basket full of HSTs from a swap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with those!!! The little block shown in this post and the previous post are so flexible. Maybe they will work for you.

      Delete
  3. Wow...these chevrons make an awesome quilt. Great color choices too.

    ReplyDelete

We really love hearing from you! All comments are being moderated due to inappropriate comments being posted. We will attempt to post your comments in a timely fashion.