SIMPLY SOPHISTICATED DESIGN WITH A TASTE OF THE UNEXPECTED.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Taffy Twist Pattern revisited

Pillow top featuring a single twist block from the Taffy Twists pattern
 with just a taste of something different added!

Marny here…to answer a customer's question I made a single block from our Taffy Twists pattern this week. I'd forgotten how fast and fun it is to sew up the twist block!! The pattern relies on using a scant ¼'' seam and pressing the seam allowances open, it is not difficult but consistency is important. A practice block might be in order.
our Taffy Twists pattern

Taffy Twists block under construction


Aligning the diagonal


Sewn, just needs a bit of trimming.


What to do with a single block? Make a pillow. I explored two ideas. At first I thought of extending the diagonals out into the bordering fabrics. But in the end I settled on changing the shape of the single twist block from a rectangle to a lozenge.


I want to share a little hint with you all.
The math for the triangles/squares for completing flying geese units using the triangles I already had hurt my head! So I just added strips, leaving extra. This photo shows the points trimmed evenly with the triangle. They started out as oversized rectangles. So the hint boils down to consider adding oversized pieces and trimming to solve some construction dilemmas. 


The unit is seamed to one end of the twist block, matching the triangle seams.


The extended flaps are trimmed even with the twist block.


The lozenge is trimmed ¼'' above the corner for a seam allowance.


Using different widths of dark to either side of the block creates a pleasing asymmetry. I really like it! Now to quilt or not before making it into a pillow?
Till Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really love hearing from you! All comments are being moderated due to inappropriate comments being posted. We will attempt to post your comments in a timely fashion.