SIMPLY SOPHISTICATED DESIGN WITH A TASTE OF THE UNEXPECTED.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Wallpaper Inspiration

jill here...yes, it's Wednesday.  Sometimes I'm a rule breaker!

There's a new baby on our block!  I do have a stash of unfinished quilts but when I saw the nursery, I decided to design anew.  Some leftover Anthology fabric (that we had used for a Torte baby quilt) seemed perfect ...but had to design judiciously.  My recent wallpapering endeavor was my inspiration. 

The recently redecorated bathroom in a taupe/white graphic pattern.
You know, wallpapering is very similar to quilting.  You have to keep the edges straight and plumb.  Each strip is similar to a block.  Patience is the key and eventually, the room was complete.   I took my time over many days (even a week's break) and it didn't go anywhere.  I enjoyed the challenge.

This is a wallpaper close-up with some line analysis.
 The dissection helped decide how to built the block.


Other important questions were proportion of line to negative space, finished block size and ultimately, the sum of blocks to get to an appropriate baby size.


With less than 1/4 yard of many fabrics, the strips were 
cut 1 1/2" or 2" WOF.
They were sewn into 3 different strip sets.
The strip sets were cut 1 1/2" wide.
The completed interior block utilizes an 8 1/2" square of houndstooth background.
 The addition of the strips brings it to 10 1/2".
The "total" block with connecting lines.
I'll post the finished design soon and will share the details.

'Till next Tuesday...

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Fun to see the development from the wallpaper to your design.

    ReplyDelete

We really love hearing from you! All comments are being moderated due to inappropriate comments being posted. We will attempt to post your comments in a timely fashion.